Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Learning and growing, beat by beat



For a student's perspective on the Settlement community and the impact music has on those who play it and hear it, we turn the blog over to Jessica Solomon, a longtime student of Sue Jones at the Wynnefield Branch.
 
I have been drumming my heart out since I was eight years old. As a percussion student at Settlement’s Wynnefield Branch, I have studied a range of instruments, including timpani and marimba, and each year I have passed a certification exam, advancing to the next level. Through Settlement, I have gained an appreciation for music that I did not have prior to starting drumming classes.

Settlement percussion faculty Sue Jones, with one of her students

Gaining knowledge of what goes into making music -- not just the notes, but also the creativity, dedication, and practice -- has given me a better understanding when listening to music, whether live or through headphones. Playing in the Percussion Ensemble, led by Sue Jones, has given me the opportunity to perform with other musicians and opened me up to new techniques and styles. I have gained a lot of confidence through drumming. It brings out a side of me that makes me feel empowered, knowing that I have the ability to create a beat or a rhythm that is a brand-new piece of music.

One of our most rewarding performances was at an Open House for prospective students. We began the event with a piece that created a mood of excitement; the children joined in with small percussion instruments, thrilled to be making music with us. I saw the faces of little children filled with awe when the rhythm of the tambourine or maraca they were shaking actually fit into what we were playing. That moment of connection filled me with a sense of purpose that I believe every child should experience.


Above all, playing drums at Settlement has taught me two important lessons. The first is that music should never be taken for granted. Playing music is a skill that must be acquired, learned and perfected. Not everyone can sit at a drum set or a piano and play gorgeous music right away. If you want to play well and be known, you have to practice -- sometimes until you have calluses on your hands. Second, music brings joy to everyone and should always be taught. Music is a universal language that links many cultures, and without it, language barriers are harder to break and friendships are often harder to create.

I've found that being a female drummer is always a conversation starter -- there aren't many of us. It's just one way that music connects me to the world, and I continue to find new ways that music connects things in the world around me. That appreciation for music, and the memories I've made, are something I'll always take with me from my time at Settlement.

Jessica, a senior at Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy, has served as Communications Department intern during spring 2013. She will continue her studies in music at Goucher College.             

No comments:

Post a Comment