Tuesday, June 11, 2013

A moving experience: Adult programs and chamber music at Settlement

For some insight on musical opportunities for adults at Settlement and the connections they make as a result, we turn the blog over to Anne Hopkins, cellist and member of the Adult Chamber Players program for three seasons. Her dedication goes way beyond getting together to play every other week.

I heard about Settlement's Adult Chamber Players program several years ago when I lived in Hershey, PA, two hours away. Too far away, I thought. But I drove to the Willow Grove Branch for a "courtesy" session, thanks to the wonderful program director, Marka Stepper. I thought I owed it to myself to go to this one time, knowing that it was much too far away for anything regular. I arrived after the two-hour drive, played quartets -- Beethoven, Mozart, Mendelssohn -- and I was hooked.

The Willow Grove Branch, one of three sites for the Adult Chamber Players program


I signed up for a season, knowing that this meant a two-hour commute each way every other week. The great thing about Settlement's Adult Chamber Music Program is that you get to meet other people who love playing this kind of music. I signed up for a second season, and in the afternoon met with a group of three new friends to play quartets. Each session made for a very long day, but I remember so well driving home late, tired and happy, enjoying the sunset as I headed west towards Hershey. The next year, I signed up again, and in addition to my afternoon group, I met up with others at my friend Linda's house the night before to play chamber music. It was wonderful. Sleeping on a couch at my daughter's house, on the other hand, wasn't so wonderful.

An Adult Chamber Players ensemble rehearsing at the Willow Grove Branch

For my fourth season, I signed up for a coached group in the afternoon. Marka, the program director, is also a violist, and she served as our embedded coach. We played a Mendelssohn quartet, going over the piece in depth and with incredible sensitivity to nuance. It was a powerful and very rich experience. It was during this year that I began to talk with my husband about maybe moving to somewhere near Willow Grove so that I wouldn't have a long commute (and wouldn't have to sleep on a couch) and could meet more often to play chamber music with my new friends. Well, it so happened that we found a house that we liked in Wyndmoor, 15 minutes from the Willow Grove Branch, bought it, sold our house in Hershey, and moved here in May.

Thanks to the other musicians I met at Settlement, I have so many opportunities to play -- every day, if I could manage it. In short, I'm a big fan of Settlement and the Adult Chamber Players Program. Next year I want to play in all the Settlement programs in the Philadelphia area!

Learn more about Settlement's adult programs at Chamber Music Conversations, an open house and evening of music for adult musicians, on June 21 at the Mary Louise Curtis Branch. Bring your instrument and we will organize an ensemble for you, whether you play classical, jazz, rock, or folk music, or come be a part of the audience and meet like-minded adults who share your love for music.

No comments:

Post a Comment