Tuesday, September 17, 2013

A woodwind tribute by a member of the New York Philharmonic

On Thursday, September 19, talented young woodwind students from throughout the Philadelphia area will audition for a spot in the newly renamed Shirley Curtiss Center for Woodwind Studies. News of the Center, the appointment of Mimi Stillman as lead faculty member and Shirley and Sidney Curtiss Distinguished Faculty Chair, and the dedication by longtime faculty members Shirley and Sid Curtiss that it reflects, have resulted in tributes pouring in from many of Mrs. Curtiss' former students. Here's the most in-depth reflection we've received to date; it's also the most touching. It's from Judith LeClair, Principal Bassoon with the New York Philharmonic and a member of the Settlement 100, a group of 100 eclectic individuals honored and recognized during Settlement's Centennial in 2008.

Judith LeClair, principal bassoon
with the New York Philharmonic
I started studying privately with Shirley when I was just 14 years old. At one of my first lessons, I said I wanted to play the Mozart Bassoon Concerto. She told me that you needed to be either 14 or 40 to play it... so started my lifelong endeavor of trying to master this wonderful piece!

Shirley was very particular about working on orchestral excerpts, something that has been extremely beneficial for me. She demanded that I learn to double tongue and, being quite stubborn, I refused. Shirley prevailed after a few months, and now I silently thank her every time I have to play Figaro, Beethoven's Fourth Symphony, or the Haffner symphony! I remember one time I brought in the Berceuse from The Firebird. One slur just wasn't clean, and she turned to me and said, "Don't you like to perfect anything?" Harsh words, but they forever changed how I practiced.


I was fortunate enough to be placed in a dynamite quintet for my three years at Settlement. The highlight of my week was taking the train on Saturdays to Philadelphia -- I lived in Newark, Delaware at the time -- and rehearsing with my new found friends and colleagues. I knew I was sort of the "runt of the litter" and needed to learn loads of repertoire pretty fast. I think playing with my woodwind quintet in Shirley's studio at 4th and Queen are some of the happiest memories of my life.

Our group won an audition to play Mozart's Sinfonia Concertante with the Philadelphia Orchestra the following year. I think Shirley coached us to sound like a top professional group, well beyond our tender age of 15. I loved every second of it and lived for our hours together. I knew beyond a doubt that this was going to be my life.

After playing Principal Bassoon with the New York Philharmonic for 32 years, I still feel that my early chamber music experiences with Shirley were what got me there. We have had over 40 years of friendship and love, of cooking, drinking great wines, and training Airedale Terriers together. I send my love and best wishes for the continued success of Settlement Music School.

No comments:

Post a Comment